CALI-AVOCADO STEAK SALAD
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Ingredients1 boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1 inch (about 1/2 pound)6 teaspoons olive oil, divided1/2 teaspoon salt, divided3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided1 large navel orange1 large Fresh California Avocado2 loaves naan bread, (about 3 ounce each)4 cups mixed salad greens
- Rub both sides of beef steak with 1 teaspoon olive oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cut bottom and top off orange. Remove remaining skin from orange; cut into segments; reserve. Cut avocado in half; remove pit, but do not peel. Squeeze juice from two cut ends of orange over cut sides of avocado, then brush with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
- Brush both sides of naan bread with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. During last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling, place avocado, cut side down, and naan bread on grill; turn bread once.
- Meanwhile, toss salad greens with remaining olive oil and pepper. Add orange segments to salad. Remove skin from grilled avocado. Cut avocado into slices; add to salad and toss gently. Carve steak into thin slices; place on top of salad. Cut naan into wedges; arrange around salad.
Nutrition information per serving: 682 calories; 36 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 22 g monounsaturated fat); 70 mg cholesterol; 948 mg sodium; 59 g carbohydrate; 12.1 g fiber; 34 g protein; 9.7 mg niacin; 0.9 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 31.8 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc; 128.8 mg choline.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.