Lickety-Split Sweet-Sour Beef
Total Recipe Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients1 pound beef Top Round Steak, cut 1 inch thick1 cup uncooked quinoa1 can (20 ounces) canned pineapple chunks in juice1 cup salsa2 tablespoons soy sauce2 tablespoons cornstarch2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided2 red or green bell peppers, cut into strips1/4 cup lightly toasted sliced almonds
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple chunks; reserve juice. Combine juice, salsa and soy sauce in small bowl. Add cornstarch, mixing until smooth; set aside.
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick strips.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet. Repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef; keep warm.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add peppers and pineapple; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender. Add beef to skillet. Stir salsa mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve over quinoa; top with almonds.
Nutrition information per serving: 366 calories; 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 48 mg cholesterol; 585 mg sodium; 42 g carbohydrate; 4.8 g fiber; 25 g protein; 4.6 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.0 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 24.0 mcg selenium; 103.4 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B12.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.