Bistro Beef "Steaks" with Wild Mushroom Sauce
Total Recipe Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients1-1/4 pounds ground round1 medium onion, cut in half3/4 teaspoon saltSalt and pepper8 ounces sliced assorted fresh wild mushrooms, such as oyster, cremini and shiitake (about 3 cups)1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) beer, preferably honey lager, or non-alcoholic beer1 package (.87 to .88 ounce) brown gravy mix2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushedFresh thyme leaves or sprigs (optional)
- Finely shred 1/2 onion. Thinly slice remaining 1/2 onion; set aside.
- Combine shredded onion, ground beef and 3/4 teaspoon salt in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick oval "steaks". Sprinkle tops with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place patties in skillet; cook 10 to 12 minutes, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F, turning once. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Add sliced onion, mushrooms and 1/4 cup of the beer to same skillet; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Combine gravy mix with remaining beer in small bowl, mixing until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture in skillet. Add 1 teaspoon of the chopped thyme; simmer 1 minute or until thickened, stirring frequently. Spoon sauce over patties; sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon chopped thyme. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Cook'sTipWater or beef broth may be substituted for beer, if desired.Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 352 calories; 18 g fat; 86 mg cholesterol; 774 mg sodium; 12 g carbohydrate; 29 g protein; 3.5 mg iron.This recipe is an excellent source of protein and iron.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.