Latin Steaks with Sweet & Smoky BBQ Drizzle
Total Recipe Time: 30 minutesMarinade Time: 15 minutes to 2 hours
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients4 beef shoulder top blade steaks (flat iron) or beef shoulder center steaks (ranch steak), cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)1 can (8 ounces) pineapple rings in juice1/4 teaspoon black pepperSaltLime slices, cilantro sprigs (optional)Marinade:1/4 cup fresh lime juice3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice 2 tablespoons roasted-garlic-flavored oil2 teaspoons fajita seasoningSweet and Smoky BBQ Sauce:1/2 cup molasses or other sweet barbecue sauce2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded, minced
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice for marinade and barbecue sauce. Cover and refrigerate pineapple rings until ready to use.
- Whisk marinade ingredients in small bowl. Season steaks with black pepper. Place in food-safe plastic bag. Pour marinade over steaks; turn steaks to coat. Close bags securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile combine barbecue sauce ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill shoulder top blade steaks, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (shoulder center steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. About 8 minutes before steaks are done, place pineapple rings on grid. Grill until heated through, turning once.
- Season steaks with salt, as desired. Drizzle steaks and pineapple with sweet & smoky barbecue sauce. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Cook'sTipOne beef top round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1-1/4 pounds), may be substituted for top blade or shoulder center steaks. Increase marinating time to 6 hours or overnight. Grill steak, covered, 10 to 11 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving using shoulder top blade (flat iron): 491 calories; 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 102 mg cholesterol; 584 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 0.9 g fiber; 45 g protein; 6.7 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 6.1 mcg vitamin B12; 5.4 mg iron; 34.3 mcg selenium; 15.2 mg zinc. This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Nutrition information per serving of top round: 343 calories; 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 77 mg cholesterol; 513 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 0.9 g fiber; 34 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 39.0 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.Nutrition information per serving using shoulder center steak (ranch): 438 calories; 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 114 mg cholesterol; 594 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 0.9 g fiber; 46 g protein; 6.2 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 5.2 mcg vitamin B12; 6.0 mg iron; 51.3 mcg selenium; 10.9 mg zinc. This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.