Steaks with Mushrooms, Blue Cheese & Frizzled Shallots
Total Recipe Time: 40 minutesPreparation Time: 10 minutesCooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients4 beef Sirloin Tip Center Steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)4 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces1 tablespoon all-purpose flour2 small shallots, thinly sliced, separated into rings1 teaspoon salt, divided1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, diced2 tablespoons water1/4 cup whipping cream1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Cook bacon in nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towels, reserving 2 to 3 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Set aside.
- Meanwhile combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Add shallots; toss to coat. Heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat until hot. Add shallots. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until well browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon to paper towels. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Season beef steaks evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place steaks in same skillet; cook 14 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Do not overcook. Remove to serving platter; season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and water to skillet. Cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add cream. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cream is almost absorbed. Stir in cheese and bacon.
- Spoon mushroom mixture over steaks. Top with shallots. Sprinkle with parsley
Cook'sTipFour beef Tri-Tip Steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 4 to 6 ounce each) or two Strip Steaks Boneless, cut 1 inch thick (about 10 ounces each) may be substituted for Sirloin Tip Center Steaks. Panbroil Tri-Tip Steaks 13 to 16 minutes (Strip Steaks 12 to 15 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving, using Sirloin Tip Center Steaks: 490 calories; 24 g fat (12 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 193 mg cholesterol; 1110 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 1.8 g fiber; 55 g protein; 10.6 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 5.5 mg iron; 64.3 mcg selenium; 8.6 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.Nutrition information per serving, using Tri-Tip Steaks: 352 calories; 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 103 mg cholesterol; 1096 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 1.8 g fiber; 31 g protein; 8.9 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 3 mg iron; 38.6 mcg selenium; 4.8 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.Nutrition information per serving, using Strip Steaks: 395 calories; 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 113 mg cholesterol; 1114 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 1.8 g fiber; 40 g protein; 11.1 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.8 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 47.4 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.