Carnitas-Style Grilled Beef Tacos
Total Recipe Time: 45 minutesMarinade Time: 15 minutes to 2 hours
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients4 beef Flat Iron Steaks (about 8 ounces each)18 small corn tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter)Toppings:Minced white onion, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedgesMarinade:1 cup prepared tomatillo salsa1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro2 tablespoons fresh lime juice2 teaspoons minced garlic1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepperAvocado Salsa:1-1/2 cups prepared tomatillo salsa1 large avocado, diced2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro1/2 cup minced white onion1 tablespoon fresh lime juice1 teaspoon minced garlic1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steaks and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 12 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile combine avocado salsa ingredients in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place tortillas on grid. Grill until warm and slightly charred. Remove; keep warm.
- Carve steaks into slices. Serve in tortillas with avocado salsa. Top with onion, cilantro and lime wedges, as desired.
Cook'sTipOne beef Flank Steak (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds) or 1-1/2 pounds Skirt Steak (cut in 4 to 6-inch portions) may be substituted for Flat Iron Steaks. Increase marinating time to 6 hours or overnight. Grill Flank Steak on charcoal grill, 11 to 16 minutes (on gas grill,16 to 21 minutes); grill Skirt Steak on charcoal grill, 7 to 12 minutes) (on gas grill, 8 to 12 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving using Flat Iron Steaks: 493 calories; 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 9 g monounsaturated fat); 68 mg cholesterol; 407 mg sodium; 45 g carbohydrate; 7.4 g fiber; 35 g protein; 6.1 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 4.1 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 27.7 mcg selenium; 11.4 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.Nutrition information per serving using Skirt Steak: 461 calories; 2 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 10 g monounsaturated fat); 49 mg cholesterol; 410 mg sodium; 45 g carbohydrate; 7.4 g fiber; 26 g protein; 5.5 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 3.7 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 20.9 mcg selenium; 6.1 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.Nutrition information per serving using Flank Steak: 421 calories; 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 42 mg cholesterol; 378 mg sodium; 45 g carbohydrate; 7.4 g fiber; 29 g protein; 8.6 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 2.7 mg iron; 32.11 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc.This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.